About Me

My photo
My goals for the future is to obtain a teaching/librarian job, lose weight, own a house, and to travel the world.

Thursday, November 11, 2010

Day 59: My Chain of Support

Today I was so proud of myself because I rode my bike to the Portland State University campus!  6.5 miles is an accomplishment for me.  In another post, I stated that I was going to ride my bike 3 times a week, but I have to admit that I have whimped out because of the cold and rain.

Unfortunately, when I was getting ready to leave, it was late in the afternoon and I was trying to talk myself out of simply throwing my bike up on the bus or train; I can be tough girl.  Now, I am convinced that it was God, the Universe, my own personal instincts warning me.  As I was beginning my journey, I was stuck behind a bus and I had the "brillant" idea to pass the bus.  Except that my tire got caught on trolley railing and my knee slammed into the concrete; not a pretty event to behold.

So here is the upside: a bike rider rode by and helped me out of the street--definately a good thing.  Then a very kind gentleman walked over and stayed with me until I was able to secure a ride.  I called everyone that I knew until finally my brother-in-law was able to rescue me.  Angels was watching over me, both metaphysically and in the shape of the kind stranger and fantastic in-laws! 

Finally, it felt nice that although I had difficulty getting ahold of people at first, every single person called me back not knowing what had happened.  After sitting in my chair with my leg propped up, my husband got me worried about my bike being locked up downtown, alone, in the dark, all night.  So I called one more person in my phone list: my brother, who unfortunately I don't call to often.  There is something about having a genetic connection because when the call came, my brother drove me back downtown at 10 o'clock at night to rescue my bike.  It was nice to know that even if we are not close, he is still my brother and there to help when needed.  I think I need to reach out to him more, not just when I need rescueing. 

So, you ask, am I hurt.  Well, yes my knee is banged fairly bad but nothing broken.  The swelling needs to calm down.  I just got over from hurting my shoulder and back into yoga again and now this.  Maybe my brother-in-law is right, I am a walking accident!

The lesson I learned from this experience is that I reach out to the same person over and over again, mainly my sister.  However, this is not healthy.  Now I now that I have other people to support me, such as my brother.  It is good to widen my circle of support.

Please share your thoughts or feelings.  Who is your chain of support?

No comments:

Post a Comment