About Me

My photo
My goals for the future is to obtain a teaching/librarian job, lose weight, own a house, and to travel the world.

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Day 73: Black Friday

The highways around backed up with busy travelers attempting to leave the city (or go to the city) and the airports are working around the clock to ensure wayward travelers arrive on time.  Thanksgiving is a fun get together with family but it is the day after Thanksgiving when an even busy mad rush begins.  The day after Thanksgiving is known as Black Friday which holds a reputation of long lines, grumpy people, and the occasional snarl fest over toys or electronics.  For the past 3 years, I have participated in this ritual of waking up at 3 o'clock in the morning to go stand in the cold for two hours.  This year I have decided to not go out on Black Friday.  First of all, I don't have the money but this is actually a good thing.  I don't have to think to decide to participate or not, the decision is already made.  Second, in an attempt to declutter my pile o'stuff and finish my projects, I don't need to bring more stuff into my house.  Finally, the purpose of my blog is the work on spending less money.  My goal is save enough money to visit my sister in Saudi Arabia, hopefully by the end of August.

However, I realize that some of you may decide to participate in this ritual of Black Friday, so here is my gift to you to take shopping, whether it is Friday or any other day.

BUYING REMINDER CARD
Before you buy something, take out this card
and ask yourself these questions:
  • Will this purchase help me reach my financial goals?
  • Do I really need this item or just want it?
  • Would I come back tomorrow to buy this?
  • Can I really afford it?
  • Would I buy if if I had to pay cash for it?
  • If I buy it on my credit card, can I pay it off this month?
Adapted from "Making Money Work for You" by the University
of New Hampshire Cooperative Extension
Financial Fitness

No comments:

Post a Comment