About Me

My photo
My goals for the future is to obtain a teaching/librarian job, lose weight, own a house, and to travel the world.

Sunday, November 21, 2010

Day 70: Mad Rush toward Thanksgiving

For my demonstration today, I sampled "Dry Soda" a low-sugar option for wine.  It was actually pretty good, more like a flavored water than sugary soda.  While my demo was interesting, what really caught my attention was the mad rush of customers frantically running all over the store to buy specialized ingredients in order to spend hours of cooking for a giangatic feast.  Usually, cooking falls on the shoulder of one individual, perhaps the mother while everyone else enjoys stuffing themselves endlessly.  Why is Thanksgiving set up to be a gorge fest?  Is it supposed to be about family and being thankful for our health and happiness?  Weight Watchers teaches that holidays are just another meal, maybe a little nicer meal, but a meal nevertheless.  That means that it is not a gorge fest but just a great meal.  For consumeristic Americans, this is a difficult concept to wrap our brains around.  Would we not enjoy Thanksgiving if we just had some turkey (or not), a starch, and a nice salad followed by desert a little later.  Four or five carefully selected dishes, so much simplier yet still enjoyable.  Better yet, what if our new tradition of a non-glutounous Thanksgiving dinner was followed by an activity, such as board games, card games, or a nice walk. 

What are your thoughts about Thanksgiving dinner?  Please share them with me.

1 comment:

  1. Hi -- Maybe the comments are slow because people are getting very busy with the holidays. However, if you have viewers from South Africa, they probably don't do Thanksgiving holiday. It is a crazy time of year regardless. I plan to go to 9:30am yoga for a 90 minute class on Thanksgiving day. For me, it's a holiday with reminders of the people who traveled this land before us. I am full of gratitude and thanks for all the blessings this life gives. What about the food ? I have to say it's nice to have special menus, but sometimes food can be annoying. If I didn't have to worry about food, there are so many other things I could do !! Ha!

    ReplyDelete